What's been going on with the Lundholms...

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cookie Dough Texture 101


I have been making these chocolate chip cookies for quite a while now...mom's "heavenly chocolate chip cookie recipe." What we grew up on and what all the neighborhood kids remember...especially Alison.
SO my point is that I know that cookie dough is about the right texture...so when you don't add enough flour you get flat paper thin cookies and if you add too much then they are hard little lumps. So finding the right balance is VERY IMPORTANT.
My mom made me the best Christmas gift ever involving some of my favorite recipes so I followed the one she wrote down, saying 4 3/4 C flour...when I knew it is more like 5-6 C of flour, but I followed what my mom wrote down. NOTE this is not my mom's fault, I mean this was asking a lot to ask my mom to write down recipes. She is one amazing chef and baker but rarely uses actual recipes..it is all in the texture, feel, and taste, etc. I should have known the texture was wrong...so after my first batch in the oven I added more flour. The second batch was much better!

Flat Cookies=not enough flour
Non-flat cookies=right amount of flour
So for those of you who want the best chocolate chip recipe ever I have included it for your testing.

Cream together
2 C butter
2 C brown sugar
1 1/2 C sugar
Add:
3 eggs
Beat until fluffy
Mix in:
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 T vanilla
Mix in:
5-6 C flour
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (for fun do half choc. and half butterscotch)
Cook at 350 degrees for 10-12 mins

Happy Baking!

1 comment:

Bucket's List said...

those cookies are the best!!!
remember that time we tried to make cookies and instead of adding 2 tsp of baking soda, we put in 2 cups?
or the time we made limeades with limes and tried to add strawberries?
love it!